Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Diet Recipes-Sweet Sour Baked Tofu and Crispy Cheese Cauliflower

This is a good day for recipes. I tried two new ones and they were both winners. I tried the tofu warm last night and put it cold inside a half a whole wheat pita with onions and tomato for lunch. Yum.

I also weighed in at the fitness center today and my total cumulative weight loss is 29.5 pounds. I’ve lost almost thirty pounds since January 3.

Sweet Sour Baked Tofu

Ingredients

I found a bottled sweet and sour sauce that has no fat and is low sodium, House of Tsang Sweet and Sour Stir Fry Sauce. I used 2 oz. for one block of tofu.

NaSoya Lite Firm Tofu-1 14.5 oz. package

Preheat oven to 400º. I sliced the tofu in half by width (horizontally), placed the two halves between two plastic cutting boards and put two 1 gallon water jugs on the top board. This presses the tofu and squeezes out the excess water. I left the tofu to press for 30 minutes and then sliced the tofu into 10 slices. I coated the tofu slices with the sweet and sour sauce and put them on a pan sprayed cookie sheet. I covered the sheet with foil and baked for 30 minutes, turned the slices, and baked uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.

The tofu had a nice chewy texture and a wonderful flavor. The recipe makes 5 servings and it’s good cold. It has 68 calories, 7 g protein, 7.4 g carbohydrates, 1.5 g fat, and 65 mg sodium.

Crispy Cheese Cauliflower

I modified this recipe from the Healthy Cooks Yahoo Group. It was originally published in USA Today Weekend. It is great, and has only 78 calories, 4.78 g protein, 5.41 g carbohydrates, .76 g fat, and 98 mg sodium. This recipe makes 3 servings.

Ingredients

Olive Oil Spray
2/3 c Parmesan Cheese, Freshly-Grated
1/2 t Cumin, Ground
1/8 t Cayenne Pepper, Or To Taste
1/2 Cauliflower, Broken Into -Pieces
2 Egg-Substitute
1 Lemon, Cut In Wedges

Preheat oven to 450º. Combine cheese, cumin, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl (next time I might try some dry mustard either in addition to the cumin or instead of it). Dip the cauliflower into the egg substitute and then into the cheese mixture. Place the pieces on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with the olive oil spray and then lightly spray the completed pieces. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with wedges of lemon.

Here’s my recap from yesterday.

Daily Dietary Recap-3/20/2007
Calories Protein Carbohydrates SodiumFat % Calories from Fat
1082 61.73 g 186.3 g1439.5 mg 11.47 g 8.29%

3 comments:

Stardust said...

This is quite an informative blog you have here! Love the charts...and the recipes. As you know from my blog I am on a low sodium, low sugar diet, low fat diet. I got on the scale today for the first time in two weeks and see I have lost 5 more pounds. I have about 25 more to go.

I have bookmarked you and will be stopping by often.

Joel said...

Thanks for your kind words Stardust, I am having fun blogging and, I am even having fun on the diet.

Anonymous said...

I'm in a love-hate relationship with digital memory because of the way prices are always,and I domean always dropping. I absolutely hate buying SD Cards for my R4 / R4i at (seemingly) a bargain price only to see it become 10% cheaper a few months later.

(Posted on BlogServ for R4i Nintendo DS.)